The North Yorkshire Construction Training Group in partnership with NYBEP, funded by CITB would like to invite up to 10 Primary schools from across Yorkshire & Humber to take part in the pilot of a brand new FREE STEM and Enterprise Challenge – Roots to Roof,
The project aims to:
- support the development of employability skills that future employers are looking for; teamwork, problem solving, decision making, organisation, finance and presentation skills
- positively promote and raise awareness of the variety of job roles in the construction sector
- inspire students to consider a future in the construction industry and to introduce them and their teachers to the Go Construct website and resources.
What is the Roots to Roof STEM and Enterprise Challenge?
The challenge brief – Design a place that you and others would like to live in.
Working in small teams (4-5) students are tasked with trying to win a new contract to design a house that will appeal to families to be built on a brand-new housing estate
How will it be delivered?
Primary Schools taking part will be supported by NYBEP as well as Construction Ambassadors from construction businesses within your local area. Below we have put together the following programme of support, this can be flexible to suit your school’s needs:
The In School Launch Event
The launch event will be aimed at 30-40 pupils of 7-11 year olds and will give an overview of the different career opportunities available within construction. There will then be an hour practical assignment for teams of 4-5 pupils to work together on the development of a 2D house model, looking at various aspects of construction and sustainability.
The ‘Roots to Roof’ Challenge
NYBEP will launch/deliver in school the Roots to Roof Challenge, working in small teams students will take on six tasks, supported by worksheets to:
- Discuss and decide on a job role
- Plan their new build
- Build their new build
- Explore what other job roles are needed to construct their new build
- Design Marketing Materials and record their finance
- Present their final ideas
The Grand Finale
Each school is invited to choose one winning project from their groups to present their work at a Grand Finale event in York on 29th June, at the NYBEP Annual STEM event – Inspirations 2017. This event is a great showcase for schools and careers, and will be attended by approximately 2000 pupils. There will be a competition between the 10 schools included within this pilot, and a winner will be announced at the event.
To Register your interest in taking part, please contact Debbie Gillard at: